Today I want to give you an example of how you can spice up my basic dairy and gluten free almond muffin recipe featured in the previous post. This dairy free muffin recipe is for banana and walnut almond muffins. It contains no added fat. It is gluten free because it is made with ground almonds instead of regular flour and with that it fits for people who follow a paleo diet or grain free diet. The only fats in these muffins are those that naturally in the nuts as egg whites (as oppose to the yolk) contain next to no fats at all. Feel free to replace the egg whites with your favourite egg substitute mike flaxseeds and water. I prefer to use egg white because of they add an extra bit of protein to the muffins. This recipe also complies with the diet of the OMS Program.
These muffins are the perfect breakfast, snack or energy booster any time of the day really. And they taste so good they probably won’t last till dinner or dessert but if they do, obviously you can serve them as a sweet treat after your main meal.
Ingredients for 12 Paleo Banana and Walnut Almond Muffins:
- 250g /9 oz almond flour
- 50g /1 ozwalnuts, chopped
- ¼tsp salt
- ½tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 egg whites
- 1-2 ripe bananas (depending on size)
- ¼ cup of maple syrup (or 3 tbs sugar)
- ½ cup soya milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
Preparation Time 10 min plus 20 for Baking:
- Pre-heat the oven to 350˚F/180˚C.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Lightly whisk the egg whites in a separate bowl.
- Mash the bananas on a plate with a fork and then stir them into the eggs.
- Add the maple sirup (or sugar).
- Add the soya milk and mix all the wet ingredients together.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together to form a fairly wet batter.
- Line a cupcake baking tray with paper cups and spoon the batter into the paper cups.
- Bake the muffins in the oven for 15-20 minutes.