Non Dairy Vegan Festive Dessert – Apple and Almond Syllabub
A great non dairy vegan festive dessert is this apple and almond syllabub. It’s perfect for the festive season when there is an abundance if apples around especially if you are lucky enough to have a garden. But apples can be easily purchased in any local shop too. Slightly tart, sour apples like cooking apples are especially suitable for this recipe because they burst with flavour and hold on to that apple favour through the cooking process.
As this dessert also looks great and tastes divine and it is perfect if you are dinning with family and or friends around Thanksgiving, Christmas or for other a special occasions. The recipe uses yoghurt, apples and almonds. It is really easy to make, just follow the instructions below. I like to cook the apples with a little bit of apple cider or white wine if I’m stuck but you can obviously substitute that with a non-alcoholic beverage like apple juice.
Ingredients for Apple Syllabub
- 2 cooking apples, cored, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbs clear honey
- 3 tbs brown sugar
- 1/4 cup/75ml apple cider or white wine
- 1 cup/250ml soya yoghurt
- 2 spicy nut drops (recipe for the cookies if you click on the link) or another crumby nutty cookie of your choice
- 2 tsp toasted almond flakes or sticks (or chopped, blanched almonds)
Preparation Time 35 min (including cooking time)
- Cook the apples with the honey, sugar and cider/wine and simmer gently until you can mash the apples into a purée with a spoon then set aside.
- Process the spicy nut drops in a blender until they are crumbs.
- When the apple has cooled completely mix half of it with the yoghurt.
- Spoon about 2 tbs of apple purée in the bottom of wine glasses then add a layer of nutty crumbs.
- Add a layer of most of the yoghurt mix and top with the rest of the apple mix.
- Finish with a thin layer of yoghurt mix and chill in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Garnish the top with some toasted almond flakes and serve.