This is a simple, delicious vanilla custard that doesn’t require the traditional egg yolk or cream. It is gluten free and egg free and low in sugar. What’s even better, it can be adjusted to suite people with a soya intolerance by simply switching the soya milk used in this recipe with your dairy milk alternative of your choice. I enjoy this custard with wintery baked fruit desserts as well as with fresh spring and summery fruit such as strawberries or peaches. It is lovely when used as a base for creamy chilled desserts like in the featured ‘peachy fools’ at the end of this post.
The base of this recipe lends itself to other pudding like desserts, you can try it with cocoa powder or a mix of cocoa and instant coffee powder for a mocca type dessert. This vanilla custard is used in my Lotte Wild, A Three Course Meal Free Booklet! Simply sign up to our newsletter and we will send you the free PDF.
Ingredients for a 10 fl oz. Vegan Vanilla Custard:
- 1/4 hot water
- 2 tbs of unrefined sugar
- 1 vanilla pod or 2-3 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 tbs corn flour
- 1 cup soya milk
Preparation (time 15 min):
- On a low heat dissolve the sugar in the water in a sauce pan.
- Empty the seeds of a vanilla pod into the sugar mix and cook for about 2 minutes or add the vanilla essence.
- In a separate bowl mix the corn starch with about a 1/4 cup of the milk and stir well until all the lumps have dissolved and then add the rest of the milk to the mix.
- Pour the corn flour mix into the dissolved sugar and bring to the boil on a medium heat stirring constantly until the custard thickens. Add more milk if required to give you the desired consistency.
- Remove from heat and let it cool.
That’s it! Super simple to make. Now you can play with the recipe and add some of your favourite flavours.
In the photo above I simply added some pureed peaches to the custard.
Ingredients for Vegan Vanilla Custard Dessert with Peaches (Peachy Fools)
- 3 – 4 ripe peaches, peeled
- 10 fl oz vegan vanilla custard
Preparation (time 5 min):
- Leaving four chunks of fruit to one side blend the peaches in a food processor to a chunky pulp.
- In a bowl mix the peach pulp with the custard.
- Transfer to four serving bowls, decorate with the chunks left to one side and refridgerate for 1-2 hrs.