In this seafood lasagne I’ve combined the pasta with a white wine, béchamel sauce using soya milk, rice flour and almond flour. It gives the dish a creamy rich taste without using the traditional dairy fats and cheeses.
Seafood mixes are sold both frozen, packaged and fresh here in Ireland. If you’re really lucky and live near a port you can get fish straight from the trawlers. Seafood mixes are usually the smaller pieces that get cut off when cutting fish into filet portion sizes. There is nothing stopping you from buying fresh filets of haddock, salmon, smoked cod etc and cutting them into chunks yourself though.
Serves 4 cooking time: 50 minutes
- 250 g seafood mix
- 100 g prawns or tiger prawns
- 1 carrot, cut into small chunks
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 1 celery stick
- 2 tsp dried tarragon
- 1/3 cup white wine (optional)
- 1 clove of garlic finely chopped
- 1 pack of gluten free lasagna (250 g) sheets or 12 homemade lasagna sheets
- 3/4 l unsweetened soy milk
- 4 tbs rice flour
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs almond flour
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- generous pinch of salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 375˚F/190˚C
- Warm the olive oil, remove from the heat and dissolve the flour into it.
- Return to a low heat, gradually add the soy milk and allow the sauce to thicken before removing from the heat.
- Using a separate pan sauté the garlic, tarragon, carrots, leek and celery in a little bit of water until they start softening.
- Add the vegetables to the white sauce and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle a thin layer of sauce at the bottom of an oven proof dish then cover with the first layer of lasagna sheets.
- Ladle another about 1/3 of the sauce then cover with another layer of pasta sheets.
- Spread the seafood out in the next layer and cover generously with sauce before finishing with one last layer of lasagna and a thin layer of sauce on top.
- For the topping mix the almond flour with the garlic powder and some salt to taste and sprinkle over the top of the lasagna.
- Bake in the oven for 40 min.
- Garnish with some freshly chopped parsley and serve.